“There’s no accounting for taste.” That’s a saying that I’ve always liked and I don’t think it gets any truer, literally, then when talking about food!
I always cook things that I myself love, but somewhere in the back of my mind I’m thinking, “I wonder what other people will think?” or if I’m feeling more optimistic, “People are gonna love this!” Because I’m not just cooking for me, I’m cooking for you, too! Sometimes I’m a little surprised when people don’t like a certain dish as much I do, and other times, things that I wouldn’t even give a second thought turn out to be huge hits!
I try to post one photo a day to my Instagram account. I’m also a member of a few different vegan Facebook groups, and I like to post there now and then, too. But I really wasn’t expecting the amount of positive feedback I got from this smoothie! People went bananas! Or maybe that went avocados! Because, I realized, people just LOVE avocados!
So I decided to post this and two more “not your average avocado” recipes in the next couple of days!
If you’re not already an avocado fan, here are some reasons you should be:
- Avocados are full of fiber, folic acid, magnesium and vitamins A, B, and C.
- Avocados are packed with folate, a nutrient closely linked to cardiovascular health.
- They are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are supposed to combat wrinkles, lessen arthritis pain and improve brainpower and overall brain health.
- They’re also high in calcium, which helps regulate blood pressure and is beneficial for muscle growth.
- The carotenoids present in avocados have been shown to protect against different forms of cancer – including breast and prostate cancer.
- They taste so dang good and are very versatile!
So here’s the first of 3 avocado recipes coming up in the next couple of days – an Avocado-lime smoothie!
- 1 avocado
- Juice from ½ lime
- Ca ¾ cup (1.8 dl) plant-based milk
- Ca 1 Tbsp - agave syrup (any natural, liquid sweetener is fine: Coconut blossom nectar, rice syrup, maple syrup...)
- Throw everything into a blender and mix until smooth. Add more/less plant-based milk and/or ice to adjust the consistency.